Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru

Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > Forest of True Sight > Questions & Answers

Notices

Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:05 AM // 11:05   #1
Saladin
Ascalonian Squire

Guild: AvA
Profession: W/R
Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default Download Limits? [MERGED]

In the FAQ it says you only need "500 MB Available HDD Space" this is extremely small for a game like this.

how much are we expected to download?

and

how will this afect those who have download limits.

i have a cable conection and 12G limit shared between 4 people, i know thats plenty but i download other things which constantly takes my account to the limit, also i'm worried about the streaming technology they keep mentioning but i havnt read anything specific about it.

how will this affect those who have 56K modem, dowloading 100MB still takes a long time no matter what technology you are using? so then streaming does not make sence at those speeds does that mean they will have to wait until new areas are downloaded beffore they can access them?

One last question, those who played BWE how much were you required to download to play the game?

Last edited by Saladin; Apr 04, 2005 at 11:18 AM // 11:18..
Saladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:29 AM // 11:29   #2
spiritofcat
Jungle Guide

Guild: Order of the Sanguine Dragon [OSD]
Profession: E/Mo

I use 56k and I had to download about 100MB before I could get to the login screen. I haven't actually played any BWEs yet, and I played the E34E event on a cable connection so I don't really know.
spiritofcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:54 AM // 11:54   #3
William of Orange
Krytan Explorer

Guild: Thousand Tigers Apund Ur Head, The Consulate

I'm running a DSL connection, and I've had to download fairly large sized files at the beginning of the beta events before I could play. After that one initial download though, the only substantial downloads you would be doing would be when you're entering an area for the first time, but those are significantly smaller in size than the primary download.

Takes about 6-8 minutes on a 26 KB/s download, so it wasn't incredibly long. After this last event though, and the playing on the 27th of April for those of us who have preordered, download sizes will be barely noticeable, since you'll only be downloading much smaller patches to the game as Anet releases them. I don't think you should have any problems with space limitations.
William of Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 12:17 PM // 12:17   #4
Rushing Wind
Lion's Arch Merchant

Guild: Servants of Fortuna [SoF]
Profession: W/E
I have a 56k modem for the time being. It sucks when you have huge files that need to be loaded into the patch... its a long wait with dial up. I got cranky waiting the first time I played months ago but, when I finally got on, it was well worth the wait.

Unless they are big files being streamed I really don't have much of a wait time anymore (still do but rarely). Hopefully, by the end of April, I won't be needing to worry about dial up anymore anyway. Whatever the costs though (cable or 56k) I'm willing to make that sacrifice!

If you wanna know more about the streaming technology that Anet has and how little space the patch takes up in actuality I believe it should be mentioned on the Guild Wars main site (guildwars.com).
Rushing Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 12:25 PM // 12:25   #5
Pharalon
Beta Tester

Guild: Carebear Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
how much are we expected to download?
My GuildWars folder is currently at about 1.5Gig. That 500Mb figure must be very outdated by this. Of course, that 1.5Gig contains almost all maps/models/textures etc etc available at this point.

Come release, all of that content will just come on CD, and the amount of data you have to stream will be minimal. You only have to stream data when they make changes to the client-side implementation- a new map, weapon model etc, or a change to the core executable. It's not going to be a noticable hit to your monthly quota.
Pharalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 12:30 PM // 12:30   #6
spiritofcat
Jungle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharalon
My GuildWars folder is currently at about 1.5Gig. That 500Mb figure must be very outdated by this. Of course, that 1.5Gig contains almost all maps/models/textures etc etc available at this point.
They actually said the Beta clent is heavier than the final game because it doesn't work as efficiently, so that 500MB may still be accurate.
Old Apr 04, 2005, 02:19 PM // 14:19   #7
Mss Drizzt
Lion's Arch Merchant

Yea but don't forget about screen shots and videos. I think it will be about a 1gig need for the game.
Mss Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 03:06 PM // 15:06   #8
Taranis
Lion's Arch Merchant

Default GW playable with download-limit??

Well I got the following question, I really love the ANet support but last time I mailed them they didn't give me a clear answer to this question so I thought I'd ask the community. In the meantime I got a 3gig download-limit but since I'm a hardcore gamer and I'll play GW half the day once it's released I'm wondering if I have to get a higher DL-Limit or even a flatrate? I'm wondering if any of you know how much GW should kill per hour/day of playing? I also heard the game should be play-able with 56k and thos users shouldn't be able to download 10000mb a hour, neither do i think they'll just play 30 mins a day....any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Sausaletus Rex; Apr 04, 2005 at 03:34 PM // 15:34.. Reason: thread merged
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 03:54 PM // 15:54   #9
Mss Drizzt
Lion's Arch Merchant

? Do you have a 3gig per day limit.? Or is it per month. Usually limits are on newsgroups and not on web traffic. Would you please clarify.
Mss Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 04:06 PM // 16:06   #10
Lansing Kai Don
Banned

I've never heard of a download limit on an IC connection either (but that doesn't mean they don't exist, just I've never heard of them). Another thing, to take account for is that Anet does a great job of utilizing time (for the most part, still some complaints but nothing is perfect). For instance, when you play a mission map, it will download the cinematic for the end of the mission while your playing the map. This cuts down on alot of "sit and wait" download time.

Lansing Kai Don
Lansing Kai Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 04:16 PM // 16:16   #11
Darkmane
Lion's Arch Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansing Kai Don
I've never heard of a download limit on an IC connection either (but that doesn't mean they don't exist, just I've never heard of them). Another thing, to take account for is that Anet does a great job of utilizing time (for the most part, still some complaints but nothing is perfect). For instance, when you play a mission map, it will download the cinematic for the end of the mission while your playing the map. This cuts down on alot of "sit and wait" download time.

Lansing Kai Don
I am pretty sure you are correct on this, which explains some of the strange lag that people on dial up get during some missions. I hope we will be able to install the cinimatics from the cd when the game is released to keep the lag monster at bay.
Darkmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 04:31 PM // 16:31   #12
Loviatar
Underworld Spelunker

some overseas carriers have limits and going over the is not an option unless you ae rich

i have looked at some of the plans and all i can say is
OUCH

think internet cafe per gig than so much a byte after that
Loviatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 05:15 PM // 17:15   #13
Taranis
Lion's Arch Merchant

In the meantime I'm able to download 3gb a month, I can download more but it'll cost more too...just wondering how much GW will kill within a hour/day/week of playing
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2005, 02:07 AM // 02:07   #14
spiritofcat
Jungle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansing Kai Don

Lansing Kai Don
Here in Australia almost all broadband companies have download limits. The most common is about 3GB per month but plans range from 300MB/month through to 100GB/month.
The bad companies start billing you per MB after the limit and the good ones just cut your speed to 64Kbps or 56Kbps.

I'd be interested to know what the average bandwidth usage/hour is for guildwars.
Old Apr 05, 2005, 02:14 AM // 02:14   #15
Ren Falconhand
Krytan Explorer

Location: Passed out on my Keyboard from lack of sleep from playing GW too much
Guild: The Harpers
Profession: R/Mo

I have DSL but have now idea what my download limit is. How do you find out. Also I have found that if you attempt to log on before the BWE you have less to download when it is time to BWE. even if you ca't play A-net is till sending stuff to you so next time you waite less time .

Ren
Ren Falconhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2005, 05:00 AM // 05:00   #16
Saladin
Ascalonian Squire

That is the essence of my point spiritofcat, usage/hour hasnt been explained clearly, especially since the 500MB HD space is the official system requirments to play the game.

Recommended System Specs:

* Windows® XP/2000/ME/98
* Intel Pentium® III 1GHz or equivalent
* 512 MB RAM
* CD-ROM Drive
* 500 MB Available HDD Space
* ATI Radeon 9000 or GeForce 4 Ti Series Video Card with 64MB of VRAM
* 16-bit Sound Card
* Internet connection
* Keyboard and mouse

found http://www.guildwars.com/faq/default.html#support

1 month to go and this hasnt changed, so why such a small requirment. I think i will be fine but 56K user's...well who knows maybe pigs can fly...in the game that is
Old Apr 05, 2005, 06:08 AM // 06:08   #17
Saladin
Ascalonian Squire

I downloaded the client to see what i can do, i dont have a key yet, i registered an account, played around with the sittings graphics look good, then i noticed in the top right corner it was already downloading so far at 130 MB and still going.

It stopped i think around 200 MB.

Quote:
I'm running a DSL connection, and I've had to download fairly large sized files at the beginning of the beta events before I could play. After that one initial download though, the only substantial downloads you would be doing would be when you're entering an area for the first time, but those are significantly smaller in size than the primary download.
Quote:
Takes about 6-8 minutes on a 26 KB/s download, so it wasn't incredibly long. After this last event though, and the playing on the 27th of April for those of us who have preordered, download sizes will be barely noticeable, since you'll only be downloading much smaller patches to the game as Anet releases them. I don't think you should have any problems with space limitations.
I think this is a fair account of what is going to happen, assuming most of the game is on the CD's when it is released.
Old Apr 05, 2005, 09:26 AM // 09:26   #18
Sin
Banned

My first beta was on 56k and you just gotta be willing to walk into an explorable or mission alone once, let it download the info, then walk back into the outpost or teleport back. After that when your in a team the download time is maybe 10 seconds after everyone else joins the group in the mission.

In PVP that wasn't the case, it took forever either way. But that was the first beta, only one I played any PVP in and only one I had 56k in.

Somewhere in one of the fansite interviews I think is where I heard 500 megs of files we don't need in the release version and it will be faster. My GuildWars folder is 1.1 gig, no screens or videos from betas in it so it should drop to 600 megs total from what the article said. I guess we'll all know soon enough--Not!
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2005, 12:27 PM // 12:27   #19
Virtuoso
Krytan Explorer

If you are worried about bandwith then what I would do if I were you, is go to a friends house and burn their guildwars.dat file or whatever the file is called to a CD (or 3). That way you and your group of friends would only have to download it once and then just share the CD(s) around. If the file is too big to put on a single CD, you can use a program like WinRar to compress it and split it into multiple files so it spans multiple CDs, then "unrar" it off the CDs when you need to use it. But then again, it depends on if you feel all this work is worth it...

-Virt

[Edit: Sorry for the horrible spelling and grammar. It's 8am and I got 3 hours of sleep last night. Not to mention I'm on a Mac... =/]
Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2005, 02:24 PM // 14:24   #20
spiritofcat
Jungle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso
If you are worried about bandwith then what I would do if I were you, is go to a friends house and burn their guildwars.dat file or whatever the file is called to a CD (or 3). That way you and your group of friends would only have to download it once and then just share the CD(s) around. If the file is too big to put on a single CD, you can use a program like WinRar to compress it and split it into multiple files so it spans multiple CDs, then "unrar" it off the CDs when you need to use it. But then again, it depends on if you feel all this work is worth it...

-Virt

[Edit: Sorry for the horrible spelling and grammar. It's 8am and I got 3 hours of sleep last night. Not to mention I'm on a Mac... =/]
Or even use a DVD...

Share This Forum!