Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru

Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > Forest of True Sight > Technician's Corner

Notices

Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:12 PM // 21:12   #1
mega_jamie
Wilds Pathfinder

Guild: Warlords of Ruin
Profession: A/Mo
Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default Endless Downloading

Hey all,

Recently, due to a variety of computer viruses curtousy of my brothers internet habits I had to format my computer and re-install everything.

I've come to trying to play GW again, I downloaded the cliente fro the official site, and installed it. It then preceded to download one update and now I have your in program Log In screen.

As I expected a "small" amount of downloading via the yellow bolt has been needed. However, last night I downloaded up to almost 1000 mb before I shut down. This morning I downloaded an unknown amount before my partner shut down the computer, and then again earlier today for several hours each.

Now I am up to 500mb of downloaded in this small download session.

Does anybody have any idea how much longer I'm going to need to go, or if possibly my GW may be bugged, decideding to download everything by the (what I think is slower) Bolt method, than the usual updater we get upon new release.

Periodically I do close down the program and open it again, just incase. This is getting annoying as I can't even log in, it just says "connecting" and I can leave that up for hours if I want, I still get squat. Infact I havnt even got that news feed to the right saying whats happening atm. My firewall isnt blocking access, since GW has full access and I have tried without it running briefly.

Any ideas anybody?
mega_jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:19 PM // 21:19   #2
EternalTempest
Furnace Stoker

Guild: Dark Side Ofthe Moon [DSM]
Profession: E/

Guild Wars gw.dat file is now over 2 GB in size when it's fully decompressed.
Some files will not load unless your logged in and actively playing.

I expect it go over 3gb when Nightfall comes out. It may even reach that on the Sep 1 Nightfall PvE preview event.

Try using the -image switch on the short cut to force everything down (over night or when your not at home, it can take a while).
http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=94814

Last edited by EternalTempest; Aug 17, 2006 at 09:24 PM // 21:24..
EternalTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:21 PM // 21:21   #3
Mustache Mayhem
Wilds Pathfinder

Guild: BEN
Profession: R/N

well looks like mine is 2.31gb

you can add -image to the gw.exe shortcut and it should download the rest.. remove it afterwards to play
Mustache Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 03:34 PM // 15:34   #4
mega_jamie
Wilds Pathfinder

Guild: Warlords of Ruin
Profession: A/Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalTempest
Guild Wars gw.dat file is now over 2 GB in size when it's fully decompressed.
Some files will not load unless your logged in and actively playing.

I expect it go over 3gb when Nightfall comes out. It may even reach that on the Sep 1 Nightfall PvE preview event.

Try using the -image switch on the short cut to force everything down (over night or when your not at home, it can take a while).
http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=94814

TY for the linky Eternal, a night of downloading left me able to connect to GW today.
mega_jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 06:27 PM // 18:27   #5
logan90
Krytan Explorer

gw.dat is 3GB when fully downloaded not 2GB
logan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 06:39 PM // 18:39   #6
Loviatar
Underworld Spelunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalTempest

]
THERE IS NO SEPT 1 EVENT

from Alex Weekes

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Unfortunately, I can confirm that the date in the magazine is wrong. There is not a beta event scheduled for the 1st September.[/QUOTE]
Loviatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 04:31 AM // 04:31   #7
awesome sauce
Krytan Explorer

My game (both chapters) is fully downloaded/unpacked with -image function and is only 2.2 gb. I think the reason some are getting higher is due to excessive screenshots.
Anyways, when I reformatted about a week ago due to a bad install of planetside that completely corrupted all of my software, I had to download about 50 mb as the game installed and then another 530 mb was streamed at the login screen.
awesome sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:39 AM // 08:39   #8
majoho
Forge Runner

screenshots aren't in the data file so that's not why.

More likely it's unused content from special events that makes some peoples data files larger.

Anet should introduce a "-rebuild" command to get rid of unused data I guess.
majoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:45 AM // 08:45   #9
Gwmaster
Jungle Guide

Profession: N/

right click on ur guildwars icon in your desktop. click proprieties at the end of the target put -image. this will download all the files and u wont have to load everytime you enter a town. wen i did it i had over 40k files it took 10-20 mins to download all.

edit: after you downloaded all remove the "-image" or your guildwars will not open
Gwmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This Forum!