Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:37 AM // 09:37   #1
Lady Lozza
Forge Runner

Guild: Angel Sharks
Profession: Me/N
Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default 2 Player - Complete shutdown.

I'm posting this because on my monk character I came up against two mesmers in tombs the other day who were brilliant. We had three monks and they managed to shut two of us down completely and the other one partially. From what was used on me this is what I deduce they were carrying:

Mesmer #1:
Res, Etherlord, Etherfeast, Migrane, Clumsiness, Phantom Pain, Ethereal Burden, Arcane Mimicry/Echo*.

Mesmer #2:
Res, Etherlord, Etherfeast, Panic, Backfire, Mind Wrack, Energy Burn, Arcane Mimicry/Echo*.

*I personally think it is more likely that they were using arcane echo.
Does anyone know anything about this dual build to confirm the skills they were using? I'm pretty sure I have the first 4 right for both of them, and they HAD to be using mimicry or echo to get two of us down at the same time, but I'm not 100% sure about the other three for either build.

How it works:
1) echo/mimicry
2) elite on one monk, elite on the other (so both have the each elite on them)
3) add another two or three hexes on each of them
4) finish it off with etherlord

I had P&H on me at the time and my energy regen slipped to 0. I simply couldn't cast enough to get the hexes off me, neither - I might add - can anyone else.
Lady Lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:48 AM // 09:48   #2
Lord Mendes
Jungle Guide

Guild: Steel Phoenix (StP)
Profession: E/

well my guildies were coming up with a similar arcane echo/mimicry build for some major shutdown.
Ill ask them next time they are online how this works because i can imagine their build is similar to this one.

EDIT: My guild and I used to use arcane echo / mimicry with 3 Mo/Me.
3 elites each :word of healing, aura of faith and spellbraker/peace and harmony.
I remember that it was very effective but the whole echo/mimicry deal was really hard to time and would b impossible to use without some good communication on TS.

sorry for highjacking thread

Last edited by Lord Mendes; Jan 19, 2006 at 09:55 AM // 09:55..
Lord Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:48 AM // 10:48   #3
ange1
Wilds Pathfinder

Profession: Mo/

taking two to shut down 2 isn't really all that great, besides your mesmers would be standing infront of your tanks...
ange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:40 AM // 11:40   #4
Lady Lozza
Forge Runner

Ange1, my point in posting this was to show that monks can be completely shut down. If monks are shut down, the opposition is dead because most players do not take self-heal into PvP and what little they do take is not enough to stop the opposition once your monks go down. Two and a half monks COMPLETELY shut down at the same time is an achievement. We had 0 energy, 0 energy regen, we couldn't use signets, we could barely move from where we were due to Ethereal Burden, and we were being constantly spammed with Mind Wrack. This build was incredibly good against a group of fairly experienced monks. Hence the reason I want to know precisely what they were using, and try it myself, as I often game in a two mesmer team.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:24 PM // 12:24   #5
Myodato
Lion's Arch Merchant

Guild: WOR
Profession: Mo/

I wondered why prot-boon was in demand in tombs suddenly. It's because nothing shakes off hex-hate like a boon monk with CoP. If that team is running 3 (or 2 and a half) monks with those mesmers, then their actual damage is very small. If one of your monks is set up to be very anti-hex, that team is going to have a hard time beating you.

Oh, and don't use P&H, it just isn't good enough.
Myodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:33 PM // 12:33   #6
Lady Lozza
Forge Runner

We did have three monks. The other wasn't suffering two complete bars of hexes at the time. I work well with P&H, I don't normally have energy problems at all because of it. CoP might be good but when you have zero energy there is next to nothing you can do. I managed to fire of one cast of convert hexes but I simply couldn't regen enough in time (even with the help of the team necro) before they cast the same combo on me again.
This particular team was a good team, there was certainly no harm done in loosing to them, but nonetheless I would love to know the build they used.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:53 PM // 12:53   #7
Lord Mendes
Jungle Guide

Guild: Steel Phoenix (StP)
Profession: E/

hmm havent had a chance to ask guildies tonight but its good to c people r noticing how good the whole echo/mimicry deal is. Works well with most X/Me especially necros.

I'm going to try out the written above with some guildies (with TS of course) and ill tell u how it goes.
Lord Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:56 PM // 12:56   #8
Naz Warhammer
Ascalonian Squire

Guild: The Republic's Edge [TRE]
Profession: W/E
Default Energy Management?

I dont really see a decent energy management in the 2 mesmer builds the OP has posted. Most of the spells used r mana intensive and etherlord isnt exactly a great spell to get ur energy back up (and it doesnt last long enough). I cant imagine the mesmers can keep all those hexes up all the time,unless im missing out on something

Energy tap or drain enchant/inspire hex would a good addition to the builds
Naz Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 01:24 PM // 13:24   #9
Manfred
Krytan Explorer

Ether lord: boosts mana regen at end of cycle.
Ethereal burden: gives mana back after, what 15 seconds?

Between those two, the mesmers should be almost ready to recast by the time panic recharges.
Manfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 02:11 PM // 14:11   #10
Lady Lozza
Forge Runner

This is the reason I posted this, perhaps they were using energy management, perhaps they were both necro 2ndaries, I can't honestly tell you because I don't do the attacking to tell you precisely what they used, I can tell you we had two monks with two bars of hexes.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 02:16 PM // 14:16   #11
Avarre
Bubblegum Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myodato
I wondered why prot-boon was in demand in tombs suddenly. It's because nothing shakes off hex-hate like a boon monk with CoP. If that team is running 3 (or 2 and a half) monks with those mesmers, then their actual damage is very small. If one of your monks is set up to be very anti-hex, that team is going to have a hard time beating you.

Oh, and don't use P&H, it just isn't good enough.
^What he said.

Going into battle with Holy Veil on your monks will make hex mesmers a great deal slower, and assuming you have ANY form of interrupt in your team, you should be able to knock off some of their spells. CoP is just obscenely overpowered versus hexes, and CoPing holy veil instantly removes two hexes.

Go with OoB or MoR over P&H imho... unless the enemy is using signet of humility, out-energy-draining OoB is a full-time job.
Avarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 02:35 PM // 14:35   #12
fiery
Banned

Guild: InYurFace Gaming [IYF]
Profession: R/

migraine / enegy denial build
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 05:13 AM // 05:13   #13
Littzain
Ascalonian Squire

Profession: P/N

Many groups forget about builds like these and go into combat with little-to-none hex removal. If your monks are readily prepared for hexes, then mesmers are just flies to them
Littzain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:03 AM // 10:03   #14
agentblade
Academy Page

Guild: Iron Legion of Kurzick [ILK]
Profession: Me/E

true... good monks can be quite a handful to shutdown unless you're going interrupts without migraine or arcane conundrum. But I found that though that monk is good at dealing with my hexes, the fact that if he keeps busying himself in removing his own hexes, it means he won't have that much time to heal his teammates.. in a sense that also a form of shutdown.. I guess it's about out-smarting the monk, like dun pile on ur hexes if u know he's good at removing them.. try to lure him into removing one by one..
agentblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This Forum!