Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > The Hall of Knowledge > The Campfire

Notices

Old Aug 01, 2005, 05:35 PM // 17:35   #1
Feli
Frost Gate Guardian

Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default The annoying knockdown build...

While playing around with elementalist spells an idea came to my mind when i looked at the spell Gale.
Gale knocks a target down for like 3 seconds, costs 5 energy and has a 5 second recharge. Downside is, it is causing exhaustion. Well, the idea i had was to make a build which is able to constantly nail a target to the ground.

I put up some skills and went to test it.

Elementalist/Mesmer was the build of choice
Everything was put into Air Magic (later on) and Energy Storage, with some points into Inspiration (later on).

The Skilllayout was the following the first try:
Gale, Arcane Echo

Yep thats it, i ran that build... echoed Gale and pinned my target to the ground for about 30-40 seconds. Enough for my team to get it killed with ease. Now after that period however... i was a sitting duck. Useless, utter useless. I had 4 energy and heavy exhaustion which stopped me from regaining energy. So thats it.

I went on and put Elemental Attune, Air Attunement and Channeling into it in hope of decreasing the energy cost. Little did i know that Exhaustion just blocks out that method and i was left without energy again.

And here i am... wondering if there is a way to cut down the energy cost on this one (through similiar skills). The goal is to achieve a knocked down target for as long as possible with little to no breaks inbetween. Yes i know it brutally lacks damage, but this build is about knocking down a target for the fun of it. Any hints on this one? Any pointers i could try to control the energy flow in this?
Feli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2005, 05:45 PM // 17:45   #2
Riceboi
Wilds Pathfinder

You should try this elite elemental skill and see how it works.

Elemental Attunement {Elite} - Enchantment Spell
For 45 seconds, you are attuned to Air, Fire, Water, and Earth. You gain 50% of the Energy cost of the spell, each time you use magic associated with any of these elements.

I think that would help you cast it a little longer. You would gain 2 or 3 energy every time you cast it. Try it and let me know how it works.

Skill Name Boss Name - Boss Location - Boss Type
Elemental Attunement Geckokaru Earthwind - Perdition Rock - Drake

http://www.xennon.co.uk/eliteskills/...itionDrake.JPG
Riceboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2005, 05:48 PM // 17:48   #3
Arkane

For this idea you'd have to use a E/R

Serpent's Quickness - Stance (5 energy, 0 sec cast, 45 sec recharge)
For 15-27 seconds, recharge times for your skills are reduced by 33%. Serpent's Quickness ends if your health drops below 50%

Glyph of Energy {Elite} (5 energy, 1 sec cast, 15 sec recharge)
Your next spell costs 20 less Energy to cast and does not cause exhaustion.

Serpents quickness will make glyph of energy recharge every 10 seconds. Another possibility is quickening zephyr and serpent's quickness, making glyph recharge every 5 seconds (idea for the 5 sec. recharge on gale)..but that can hurt your team if your monk doesn't know how to deal with it.
So if you are with an organized team, I'd say the best thing to do is use Serpent's Quickness and Quickening Zephyr, making you able to pump out gale after gale like normal, except without exhaustion. You'll just need something like elemental attunement to combat the increased energy cost.
It's a pretty good idea, though.
Old Aug 01, 2005, 06:34 PM // 18:34   #4
ElderAtronach
Wilds Pathfinder

Profession: Mo/Me

Repeated use of gale is bad. Very bad. If you wanted the constant knock down, try Thunderclap {E}. You lose 9 energy at level 12, I'm sure it would be lower at level 16. It sure beats the crap out of losing 10 max energy from exhaustion over and over again. Plus, thunderclap affects the target and adjacent targets. So if you're lucky you can get 2 or 3 of their team knocked down with 1 hit of thunderclap, though that'll be rare in 4v4 arenas.

I'd say combine with a water ele for their slow hexes, and a hammer warrior with their knockdown attacks, and you'll be the most annoying knockdown build ever. lol.
ElderAtronach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2005, 06:44 PM // 18:44   #5
anti_z3r0
Lion's Arch Merchant

Guild: Black Rose Assassins [BRA]
Profession: W/

Go E/N, bring Enfeeble (or Enfeebling Blood) and then Stoning. Spam stoning for a lot of knockdown.

Or just go hammer warrior and be the best knockdown person in the game
anti_z3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2005, 06:45 PM // 18:45   #6
Feli
Frost Gate Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceboi
text
Allready did that before you posted it. Mentioned it in the first post. But nonetheless, thanks for the hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkane
text
Thanks for the hint, i'm trying it with serpents quickness later on (need to make a PVE Ranger for it first lol, spent all my faction -.-).
Speaking about teambased tactics... one of the warriors would definitely have to bring some kind of stance breaking skill to counter Balanced Stance. Hm... this thingie could probably stop spirit spamming rangers quite well.

/edit:
Thanks for the other suggestions as well, will try them out.
Feli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2005, 06:58 PM // 18:58   #7
knives
Jungle Guide

Guild: Grenths Rejects [GR]
Profession: Me/

Nah. After you knock them down while they are trying to cast spirits, they will just cast the other ones in their bars, and if you deject all of them, all they use is oath shot to recharge them all again, and repeat the process while you are pretty much "exhuasted".
knives is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This Forum!