Feb 24, 2012, 10:25 AM // 10:25
Time for more nitpicking . My comments:
- The background image is cool but to be honest, it's a bit annoying too. It clashes with the font colour just enough to be distracting. As always with design, others may disagree. Your call.
- Where did the minimise/maximise/close buttons go? Disabling maximise is fine if you don't want the user to change the dimensions, but when I was finished with my first look I expected to be able to close it via the red X. I see you've got a close button but don't break conventions if you don't have to. It adds nothing and is vaguely annoying. Imagine if every program had it's own close button in whatever place the dev felt like dumping it. You'd hate having to look for the button each time.
- Great job on the Bag/Extended Bag options. Now do the same thing for the equipment packs. They both enforce mutual exclusivity but the bag ones allow for a complete deselection. Once you click an equipment pack you can't get rid of them.
- From a structure/balance/alignment pov, I'd move the images to the left side.
- Regarding the storage pane bit, it seems overly complex.
- First thing I'd do is make the text box a label. You're not meant to edit it (and you've disallowed editing it) but it still looks editable, and my first instinct was to type in the number of full panels I had, which didn't work.
- Second thing, the add and subtract buttons seem a little unnecessary too. I'd reword 'Have a storage pane full? Number of Panes added:' to 'Number of full storage panes:', then either add an editable text box that updates the total unidentified items automatically (upon edit) or go back to smaller + and - buttons after a label. That should be sufficiently clear.
- Adding a custom amount: a) I'd switch the positions of the text box and button (you wouldn't click the button before entering a value) and b) have a way to remove an amount too. The only way to do that right now is by hitting clear, which wipes the rest of your options. Annoying for typo prone people. Like the above section, I'd say the best option is to add a text box that updates the total unidentified items whenever you change the text in it. Saves having more buttons than you need.
- I'd nitpick on the positioning/alignment/formatting on the right side, but it's serves it's purpose. Perhaps consider revising later.
- BUG: The labels for the price display are the wrong way around. 500g each shows the 714g each price and vice versa.
- BUG: The custom price button doesn't seem to be functional at all. I click it and get a pop up box (which only accepts numerical characters), but when I click accept there seems to be no change whatsoever. Have you lost a label somewhere?
- I'd move the clear button further out of the way. Going for 'Calculate' and hitting 'Clear' would suck.
Well then, that was certainly much more formidable than I thought it would be. Please note that I'm pointing these things out for your benefit. Some things are minor nitpicks. Some things you may disagree with. Such is design; we all have differing views, expectations, and opinions. By all means discuss - let me know your thoughts.