Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru
 
 

Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > The Inner Circle > Sardelac Sanitarium

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:36 PM // 16:36   #181
Krytan Explorer
 
Lord Mip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Somewhere in a distant land..
Guild: Reign of Judgement [RoJ]
Profession: E/
Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderArachnid View Post
It is only when you trade with the community and use the community set prices, that you need more than one million gold. We are the ones that are forcing ourselves to use random items as currency, not Anet. Anet is not making stuff so expensive that we need more than the cap can give us. The community is making it that way.
Then why should ArenaNet fix a problem we caused ourselves?
Lord Mip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:05 PM // 17:05   #182
Furnace Stoker
 
Bright Star Shine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Belgium
Guild: Club of a Thousand Pandas [LOD大]
Profession: E/
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderArachnid View Post
Actually, Anet didn't expect you to need more than one million gold. You can buy whatever you want in the game with one million gold. That is not counting the player based market.

It is the players that made stuff require us to need more than one million gold. The community has made stuff so expensive, that we need more than the cap can give us, so we had to resort to other things to use as currency.

It wasn't Anet who made stuff expensive that we had to resort to random items for currency. You can buy anything in game with one million gold that Anet provides. That is counting weapons, armor, skills, etc.

It is only when you trade with the community and use the community set prices, that you need more than one million gold. We are the ones that are forcing ourselves to use random items as currency, not Anet. Anet is not making stuff so expensive that we need more than the cap can give us. The community is making it that way.
Ahum... Obsidian Armor, for the 3rd time now.. (You really are a master in selective reading, as stated before) Please note that when Obby armor was first introduced, Ecto's were like 10-20k/ea (Don't know howmuch exactly) and shards like 6k/ea. Now you do the math... Never meant to have more than 1mill? Djee, then why would they make an armorset that's 2-3mill at the time?
I'm gonna drop the intended bomb again, not that's he's going to notice it, or take any effort to think besides his little box, but I can keep trying.. Besides, he continues to make a fool out of himself, so it's kind of funny in a frustrating way...
Bright Star Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:19 PM // 17:19   #183
Wilds Pathfinder
 
newbie_of_doom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: WTFPRIVACYDUDE
Guild: Endangered Feces [DoDo]
Profession: W/Mo
Default

The term fiat money is completely irrelevant in this discussion. Using it to say ectos aren't worth anything is stupid. You could use the same argument for gold or any item that is most definitely a non-fiat currency.

All of you are still discussing possible blow to the value of ectos and wether people should buy them in the first place.
That is not what this discussion is primarily about. The real question is wether raising the gold cap, no matter the consequences to current players' wealth, is something positive. It isn't, because it will cause a lot of inflation.
newbie_of_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:22 PM // 17:22   #184
Furnace Stoker
 
Bright Star Shine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Belgium
Guild: Club of a Thousand Pandas [LOD大]
Profession: E/
Default

Yes, but that's what we're trying to explain here, but all the others are saying is that trading in ecto and armbraces is our own fault and a stupid idea. Which, of course it isn't, but they refuse to see the point..
Bright Star Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 06:15 PM // 18:15   #185
Wilds Pathfinder
 
SpyderArachnid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United States
Guild: Lords Of Noh [LoN]
Profession: Me/
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Star Shine View Post
Ahum... Obsidian Armor, for the 3rd time now.. (You really are a master in selective reading, as stated before) Please note that when Obby armor was first introduced, Ecto's were like 10-20k/ea (Don't know howmuch exactly) and shards like 6k/ea. Now you do the math... Never meant to have more than 1mill? Djee, then why would they make an armorset that's 2-3mill at the time?
I'm gonna drop the intended bomb again, not that's he's going to notice it, or take any effort to think besides his little box, but I can keep trying.. Besides, he continues to make a fool out of himself, so it's kind of funny in a frustrating way...
Please, continue to keep insulting me.

How many times do you need to realize that it isn't Anet that sets those prices, but the community? You sit here and say "Ecto were 10-20k each and that Anet made those armorsets 2-3 million", but what you are forgetting, is that Anet didn't set those prices. We did as a community.

Anet has no control of the price set on ecto. The community is what makes them expensive, not Anet. Anet didn't make the game and go "Ecto is going to be 10-20k each". They made it the same price as every other rare material. The community bought so much of it and started selling it for expensive amounts. We are the ones who set the price, not Anet. They have no control over the market.

So please, think again before you make some ridiculous post with no argument.
SpyderArachnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 06:52 PM // 18:52   #186
Pre-Searing Cadet
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Roaming the Underworld
Guild: Legion Of Lost Immortals
Profession: E/
Default

/signed again

For the Record, Anet only sets a Materials Base price to sell to either a Merchant or Trader. The Community has deemed it as more that just a material due to the cap. But since Ectos are easy to farm with a Variety of builds these days they aren't rare like they once were, so the only reason they maintain the price they do is still because of the cap.

Also when I first started playing in 06 Ectos were about 3-5k tops, and I kept that in mind cause I'm a Ghostbusters fan and got all giddy seeing Ecto. :P
But the price is regulated by the Community not Anet, also the addition of the Armbrace as currency stems from people filling their whole Storage with ecto and needing yet another tier for their amassed wealth.
TitansFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 06:58 PM // 18:58   #187
Furnace Stoker
 
Bright Star Shine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Belgium
Guild: Club of a Thousand Pandas [LOD大]
Profession: E/
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderArachnid View Post
Please, continue to keep insulting me.

How many times do you need to realize that it isn't Anet that sets those prices, but the community? You sit here and say "Ecto were 10-20k each and that Anet made those armorsets 2-3 million", but what you are forgetting, is that Anet didn't set those prices. We did as a community.

Anet has no control of the price set on ecto. The community is what makes them expensive, not Anet. Anet didn't make the game and go "Ecto is going to be 10-20k each". They made it the same price as every other rare material. The community bought so much of it and started selling it for expensive amounts. We are the ones who set the price, not Anet. They have no control over the market.

So please, think again before you make some ridiculous post with no argument.
Please, think before you say I'm not thinking.

When Anet INTRODUCED the Obsidian Armor set, the ecto's were this high (let's say 10k/ea) at that time, when Anet decided to put them in the game. Of course, Anet was fully aware of those prices, and they had to decide how many Ecto + shards they had to ask for that armor set. And they said 105/120 (depending on class) so they KNEW they were going to be 1 mill + at that time, and that they would stay pretty expensive, 1 mill + at the least.
And the reason that I keep doing so is because you're too stubborn to listen to anything I or a lot of other people have to say, so I thought that was how I could get into you, but since both reason and condescend failed on you, dunno what will succeed...
Bright Star Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:07 PM // 19:07   #188
Wilds Pathfinder
 
SpyderArachnid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United States
Guild: Lords Of Noh [LoN]
Profession: Me/
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Star Shine View Post
Please, think before you say I'm not thinking.

When Anet INTRODUCED the Obsidian Armor set, the ecto's were this high (let's say 10k/ea) at that time, when Anet decided to put them in the game. Of course, Anet was fully aware of those prices, and they had to decide how many Ecto + shards they had to ask for that armor set. And they said 105/120 (depending on class) so they KNEW they were going to be 1 mill + at that time, and that they would stay pretty expensive, 1 mill + at the least.
And the reason that I keep doing so is because you're too stubborn to listen to anything I or a lot of other people have to say, so I thought that was how I could get into you, but since both reason and condescend failed on you, dunno what will succeed...
I see your point, and yes Anet released armor when Ecto and Shards were at a high price.

Is that their fault? Are they the ones to blame now cause they released something? Is it them who set the price for ecto?

What you still fail to realize, is that whether they released Obsidian armor at that time or not, it STILL isn't their fault that Ecto is that price. They released an armor set just like ANY other armor set. They don't release an armor set and go "well the community has overpriced ecto extremely, so we shouldn't make this so expensive".

Anet isn't at fault for the price of Ecto, whether they released Obsidian armor at the time or not. They are going to release content no matter what is going on with the community. Should they be forced to hold back content cause we the community are doing something else with something that involves the content?

I think what you are not realizing, is it isn't Anet's fault that Ecto is priced so high. Whether they released new armor or not, they aren't to blame. We the community are controlling the market and making prices. If Anet releases content that involves prices that we set, why should we blame them for it? It's not their fault that we made stuff the price it is. You gotta remember that Anet bases their prices off the prices they set, not what the community set.

Last edited by SpyderArachnid; Dec 12, 2010 at 07:10 PM // 19:10..
SpyderArachnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:17 PM // 19:17   #189
Furnace Stoker
 
Bright Star Shine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Belgium
Guild: Club of a Thousand Pandas [LOD大]
Profession: E/
Default

I am stepping out of this.. Go on as you please...
Bright Star Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:35 PM // 19:35   #190
Academy Page
 
Dana Hawkeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Guild: Scouts of Tyria [SoT]
Profession: R/
Default

There should never have been a gold cap in inventory, storage or trade right from the start. Make them all have no limit.

/signed
Dana Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:46 PM // 23:46   #191
Furnace Stoker
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Guild: GWAR
Profession: Me/Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Star Shine View Post
Ahum... Obsidian Armor, for the 3rd time now.. (You really are a master in selective reading, as stated before) Please note that when Obby armor was first introduced, Ecto's were like 10-20k/ea (Don't know howmuch exactly) and shards like 6k/ea. Now you do the math... Never meant to have more than 1mill? Djee, then why would they make an armorset that's 2-3mill at the time?
I'm gonna drop the intended bomb again, not that's he's going to notice it, or take any effort to think besides his little box, but I can keep trying.. Besides, he continues to make a fool out of himself, so it's kind of funny in a frustrating way...
re Obsidian Armour
I guess when they created it they didn't think players would buy it they thought players will farm almost all the materials themselves.

When players take the shortcut of buying from npcs and do it in their thousands then the price will rise.
This was a mistake on anet's part because x many thousand players will often come up with ways of doing things anet didn't consider.

I also don't think they considered a very healthy stockmarket would evolve because that is what the high end of the game is, the buying and selling of materials and items to make cash, then investing that cash in more materials.

Please do it better in gw2
gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:00 PM // 20:00   #192
Wilds Pathfinder
 
newbie_of_doom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: WTFPRIVACYDUDE
Guild: Endangered Feces [DoDo]
Profession: W/Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
re Obsidian Armour
I guess when they created it they didn't think players would buy it they thought players will farm almost all the materials themselves.

When players take the shortcut of buying from npcs and do it in their thousands then the price will rise.
This was a mistake on anet's part because x many thousand players will often come up with ways of doing things anet didn't consider.

I also don't think they considered a very healthy stockmarket would evolve because that is what the high end of the game is, the buying and selling of materials and items to make cash, then investing that cash in more materials.

Please do it better in gw2
Anet probably did actually figure out that ectos would be farmed and that they may very well have intended them to be the gold sink they now are. It does not matter anyway, wether it was intended or not, they are a great gold sink as they are. So, please, instead of discussing wether ectos are worth anything if they're not used as a currency, or discussing wether they were meant to be, get on-topic.
The sole question that needs to be answered here, is wether ectos are a good currency. I think they are, I have not heard any solid arguments against this. If you have any, give them. If you do not, why is this thread still running?
newbie_of_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:05 PM // 22:05   #193
Wilds Pathfinder
 
NerfHerder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Default

Ectos are not a good form of currency because thier value can change in a matter of seconds. If I say ectos are worth 6k someone will say 7k, and someone else will say 6.5k. By the time you get a good quote on ecto rates the rare mat trader could change the price.

How are ectos a "great gold sink"? It's as good as any material for that matter. No better, No worse.
NerfHerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:16 PM // 22:16   #194
Wilds Pathfinder
 
Takeko Nakano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Great Britain
Profession: W/P
Default

Raising the gold cap would be a bad idea. I'd just hoard money, but as things stand I'm forced to spend it.
Takeko Nakano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:15 PM // 23:15   #195
Wilds Pathfinder
 
SpyderArachnid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United States
Guild: Lords Of Noh [LoN]
Profession: Me/
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_of_doom View Post
So, please, instead of discussing wether ectos are worth anything if they're not used as a currency, or discussing wether they were meant to be, get on-topic.
The sole question that needs to be answered here, is wether ectos are a good currency.
You are wrong. The sole question has nothing to do about ecto. It is off-topic.

The thread is about whether the gold cap should be increased or removed. The OP is suggesting raising the cap to 5,000,000. Ecto has nothing to do with it. The sole question is about the gold cap, not about ecto and if they qualify for currency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotyourmother View Post
If this has been mentioned before please delete this thread. I searched for this and could not find a thread so here goes...

When GW started I am sure that the creators had a dream of selling one million copies. They set the game up with high standards and as such a 100,000. gold cap on players and a 1,000,000g cap on the chest.

Now, 5 years later 5 million + copies sold with lots farming including myself as well there needs to be a change in the amount of gold that one can carry or a more effective gold sink.

My suggestion is. Raise this by a factor of 5 - cause its been out for 5 years.

so the player could hold 500,000 gold and the chest would hold 5,000,000g

This would seem appropriate as the 5 year celebration should be something of a novelty for GW to have lasted this long with the xbox and wow and stuff around.


So what do you say.. 500K??
Here is the original post since you seem to have forgotten or never read it.

Last edited by SpyderArachnid; Dec 13, 2010 at 11:18 PM // 23:18..
SpyderArachnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:30 AM // 00:30   #196
Ascalonian Squire
 
Monkerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Profession: P/
Default

An easy way to solve the currency problem would be to introduce token items that are stackable can be bought and sold to merchants at the same price.

Example:

Copper Xunlai Bullion - 10k
Silver Xunlai Bullion - 50k
Gold Xunlai Bullion - 100k
Monkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:44 AM // 04:44   #197
Furnace Stoker
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Guild: GWAR
Profession: Me/Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_of_doom View Post
Anet probably did actually figure out that ectos would be farmed and that they may very well have intended them to be the gold sink they now are. It does not matter anyway, wether it was intended or not, they are a great gold sink as they are. So, please, instead of discussing wether ectos are worth anything if they're not used as a currency, or discussing wether they were meant to be, get on-topic.
The sole question that needs to be answered here, is wether ectos are a good currency. I think they are, I have not heard any solid arguments against this. If you have any, give them. If you do not, why is this thread still running?
Ectos as a gold sink !!!!! are you serious ? ectos are a way of creating wealth.
If you farm and sell them you gain gold
If you trade in them buying low selling high you gain gold.
Buying items from NPCs removes gold so yes if you buy them from npcs then use them to get Obsidion armour or chaos gloves then and only then they are a gold sink


Anything in the game that has a high enough value that can stack and isn't subject to enormous variation in price can successfully be used as currency.
Some players will have to buy ectos and from players or traders while many can and do farm them.

You can buy an ecto from a rare material trader for 9k and sell them back for 7 or you can buy and sell to players for 8k that's the price at time of posting.
Apart from Obsidian armour and chaos gloves the traders have nothing to sell that would need you to go outside of the ordinary currency, so these materials are mostly used trading between players.
My problem with this is that a player has to manually convert some of his game currency into ectos and then sit on them till some future trade comes about or rush to buy them when a likely trade comes along.

Suppose a situation where your in a town and suddenly there is an item for sale, rare unded minipet for instance.
The seller wants 60 ectos which is a great price.

Sadly you have 50 ectos in your storage but could buy more if there was time but can you reasonably buy those other ectos from player or trader before some player with 60 ectos strikes or everyone selling ectos sees the opportunity and puts the price up esp if the rare material trader sells out.
Suppose you buy the ectos for 9 or 10 k but the item has gone, your now stuck with most of your game cash in ectos and the price has now returned to 8k.

Ok its a ficticious situation but not that impossible to imagine those with vast wealth will always be able to outgun any average player because they can sit around with 10 20 30 or more stacks of ectos and buy anything as it comes up for trade.

A player with 1 million platinum in storage cannot under the current system unless he starts collecting rare materials.
Also bad for players who take a break for 3 6 or 12 months and find ectos are now 2k and everyone is trading in cans of spam.

I am not against the rich becoming richer or being able outbid me in a sale but I would like to fully use my game currency without restrictions.

Last edited by gremlin; Dec 14, 2010 at 06:35 AM // 06:35..
gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:17 AM // 05:17   #198
Forge Runner
 
Swingline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere far away from you
Guild: The Mirror of Reason[SNOW]
Profession: W/
Default

I am bumping this thread because I believe it should be looked at again. Ectos will never go away and people need obby armor for HoM. It would be nice to buy things that cost between 100-1000k without having to convert to ectos every damn time.
Swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:01 PM // 17:01   #199
Underworld Spelunker
 
MithranArkanere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigo
Guild: Heraldos de la Llama Oscura [HLO]
Profession: E/
Default

I got Obsidian armor in one moth. Never traded, farmed or had to keep more than 100K in the storage at any time for it.

I just played daily and bought obsidian and ectoplasm with the gold I got from drops, missions and quests.


Since there's no actual trade system and those that bother to trade are not as many people as you think, raising the cap would probably just increase inflation.

The less you can hoard of something, the better.

That's why runes shouldn't be stackable.



What the game really needs is an actual global trading system like almost any other RPG has.
If the game had it, you'll see the prices going down to their proper prices rather quickly.
MithranArkanere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:35 PM // 22:35   #200
Academy Page
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Profession: N/Me
Default

The cap should be maintained as it is.

By raising the cap people would just hoard gold instead of other items (or even hoard both) till they cry to Anet again that they have too much gold and it's needed to increase the cap again.
And if Anet removed the cap for good there would be people carrying around the world weight in gold, not mentioning the crash on ectos/armbraces prices.

Besides the cap keeps the economy alive by using items for high end purchases, this way a shift in the meta has a greater impact on the market (at least in the first moments).
The fluctuation on ecto and armbraces price was mostly due changes in the game. Obviously at this point we won't see much more changes (unless SF gets nerfed to oblivion) but we never know what Anet is thinking and could very well address to the speed the SC's are getting ectos/armbraces (which is ridiculous atm).

Another point is that there are people who don't like/want fow armor but get a lot of gold in their hands without the desire to trade it.
If the gold cap is removed they'll have no incentive to trade their gold for other items and causing more problems for the current community, since ectos/armbraces are more of a currency than a material.
Flameseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This Forum!  
 
 
           

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20 AM // 03:20.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
jQuery(document).ready(checkAds()); function checkAds(){if (document.getElementById('adsense')!=undefined){document.write("_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Adblock', 'Unblocked', 'false',,true]);");}else{document.write("