Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru

Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > Forest of True Sight > Technician's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Dec 09, 2005, 04:12 PM // 16:12   #1
Dragon Worm
Academy Page

Guild: The Beastly Dragon Lords
Profession: R/
Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default Shutdown

I have been haveing a problem wit GW lately,everytime im playing it after maybe 10-20minutes it will shutdown my computer.I have no idea what to do.
Old Dec 09, 2005, 04:16 PM // 16:16   #2
Sol_Vie
Desert Nomad

Guild: Blood Of Orr [BoO]

Is it a problem with your video card? Drivers or something?
Old Dec 09, 2005, 04:28 PM // 16:28   #3
Dralspire
Retired

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record, repeating myself over and over in different threads ... the number one probability is overheating.

There is simply no reason to assume that you recently made massive system changes that surprisingly bomb your Guild Wars. Having said that, peeking into your Windows error log (if available) might prove helpful.

Clean your PC. If it's a desktop, open the big box and clean the fans/air ducts/heat sinks. If it's a notebook, get yourself a can of compressed air from an electronics store and blow out the dust.
Old Dec 09, 2005, 04:38 PM // 16:38   #4
Old Dood
Middle-Age-Man

Profession: W/Mo

Dralspire is correct! Check ALL your fans inside your case. Especialy the Video Card fan.

Dralspire, you go on repeating yourself....sometimes it takes a 2x4 to get their attention.

Last edited by Old Dood; Dec 09, 2005 at 04:45 PM // 16:45..
Old Dec 09, 2005, 11:09 PM // 23:09   #5
Dex
Wilds Pathfinder

Guild: Black Belt Jones
Profession: R/Me

Well, many of the times that people chime, "overheating!" they're overlooking other possibilities like RAM (a VERY common one dowadays with all of the super-fast memory), HDD problems, and even bad cables. All of those things can go bad overnight with no good (obvious) reason. However, in this case I think that overheating is pretty likely. Most newer motherboards will automatically shut the system down when something is getting too hot.

If you find that heat isn't the problem another possibility is a power supply problem. A power supply is another component that can up and go bad on you without warning.
Old Dec 09, 2005, 11:12 PM // 23:12   #6
Frost Gate Guardian

Defragment your drives, that should solve the problem.

Right click start, Explore. The right click the drive. Select Properties. Under the Tools tab, select the option to defragment. You can also do the Error checking option, it won't hurt.

Overheating is a problem too, yes, but as this is happening 20 minutes into the game from a cold start it is not the case here.
Old Dec 09, 2005, 11:38 PM // 23:38   #7
Dex
Wilds Pathfinder

Guild: Black Belt Jones
Profession: R/Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Defragment your drives, that should solve the problem.

Right click start, Explore. The right click the drive. Select Properties. Under the Tools tab, select the option to defragment. You can also do the Error checking option, it won't hurt.

Overheating is a problem too, yes, but as this is happening 20 minutes into the game from a cold start it is not the case here.
All I can say is...

Ok, I can also say this:
Hard disk fragmentation does not cause system shut-down. Ever. It causes your disk seek times to be long, and it causes unnecessary wear-and-tear on your hard disk.

Overheating absolutely can happen in 20 minutes. Depending on how bad the cooling problem is it can happen in 1 minute or less! For example, a modern CPU with no cooler on it can overheat in seconds. Defrag is not going to do a thing to solve this problem.

Sorry if I'm coming off a bit harsh, but c'mon now...

Last edited by Dex; Dec 09, 2005 at 11:44 PM // 23:44..
Closed Thread

Share This Forum!