Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru

Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > The Outer Circle > Off-Topic & the Absurd

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Mar 28, 2006, 01:43 PM // 13:43   #1
Barry Whitte
Frost Gate Guardian

Guild: [plat]
Profession: R/Me
Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default I finally broke down and purchased WoW

Well after being completely bored with this game for the past few months, granted this game was amazing for awhile and I thoroughly enjoyed it (enough to buy 2 accounts :X), played pvp to rank 9 finally, got level 20s of every type of class, and am just completely done doing everything there is to do ( been that way for about 4 months now), so I decided to buy World of Warcraft.

Now I know why they call it WoW! This game is rediculous, absolutely amazing that people can actually make a game like that. The world is so frickin massive and dense with ppl and structures, I somewhat feel lost, lol. I am a true pve player at heart and have heard that wow pve is much better, which it is, and that guild wars is more mainly for pvp, which i totally agree with. Guild wars pvp is just unmatched, wow pvp is fun bc of the massive battles, but guild wars is so much more skill oriented and challenging.

But, for me being a pve lover also, wow fits the bill. This isnt a thread to say wow is way better than gw and all that, they are different games and gw has its advantage in pvp so ill give them that But in pve there is absolutely no comparision in the two games.

First off, I cannot believe we never got an auction house in guild wars!!!!!! I have spent days trying to sell crap in la and droks, when in wow you just run up to an auction house, put your items on the market with prices you want them to sell at, then go back to enjoying the game! NO MORE BS WTS WTB, ah I cannnot believe gw made us do that for so frickin long, that is wrong to do on the commmunity. I can understand though bc the game is so small that might make it seem longer though, only thought i could have on that. And when something sells, it just goes right to your mailbox and you pick it up, its really amazing, no hassles and dealing with ppl.

The world is probably 40x - 50x or so bigger than tyria. Its utterly enormous, and full of trees and stuff like that, which was one thing i always missed in guild wars, a lack of a dense environment, things seemed so bare and spaced out, towns and instances.

I can go on forever about wow, fishing, mining, professions, thousands of items/quests/monsters/towns, etc.. but what i really wnat to do is try to help the people out who are bored with guild wars and do not know about many other games out there like i did. Its really a whole different experience in wow and if you love pretty much endless pve content, I think you shoudl try it out.

I will absolutely be buying factions though, but was not impressed with the event, even thought it was a minute part of the game, but the environment is still pretty weak, and it just seems that this installment is gearing more towards wow with the 2 factions, like the alliance/horde in wow.

Guild wars is a great game and for free you cant beat it, but it was time for me to move on to a new game, and thank goodness there is a game like WoW out there to save the day lol. I know alot will flame this thread or absolutely agree with me (those being the ppl that played wow before), but jsut keep in mind that im not a noob in guild wars 7 level 20s , rank 9, full storage, etc.. its just got too boring and you all know it has give it a try, i think you might be very impressed.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 01:52 PM // 13:52   #2
Numa Pompilius
Grotto Attendant

Guild: Live Forever Or Die Trying [GLHF]
Profession: W/Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Whitte
Its really a whole different experience in wow and if you love pretty much endless pve content, I think you shoudl try it out.
I agree, but... the PvE content of WoW isn't endless. The average time-to-boredom seems the same in WoW as in GW, 3-6 months. After that you stay or not depending on whether you've got friends in-game or not, just as in GW.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 01:56 PM // 13:56   #3
Corinthian
Krytan Explorer

It has monthly fee. That alone destroys everything good in it. EVERYTHING.

It also seems like the armors and items just get endlessly better and better, and level cap keeps increasing. Seems a bit out of balance.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 01:57 PM // 13:57   #4
Yanman.be
Banned

Guild: [ROSE]
Profession: A/

I completely understand your decision, and I'm happy that you made it. Do whatever feels good. I know I won't feel good being isolated in such a big world. For instance, my WoW class mate was amazed by how fast you can find groups to do quests with...on the other hand, he laughed at the level 20 cap and small world map.
It seems 12v12 is like WoW Battlegrounds, it might be a good thing to attract WoW'ers, who knows.

I prefer PvP over Pve, or at least making nifty builds ( solo pve, queen farm edge bomb etc. ) so I guess WoW isn't my thing.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 01:59 PM // 13:59   #5
Snowman
Jungle Guide

Guild: Devils Scorpions
Profession: W/E

yea its true, and I think you make valid points about the PvE PvP difference....

Its like Eve Online, ive been playing that while waiting for factions and the PvE content is Huge

But im a PvP player at heart.. and I love the strategies and the worldwide competition that GW gives.

I'll be playing Factions for a much longer time before going back to Eve I think.

Gl Hf
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:02 PM // 14:02   #6
Cobalt
Krytan Explorer

Profession: Mo/W

WOW is fun till you hit lvl 40+ then drops become really worth something and you get lots of greedy scum, ninja-looting etc... Ore veins, and herbs are better for higher end stuff in higher lvl areas so you get a lot of claim jumping, using speed burst, and people using speed burst to get to chests ahead of you.

Playing with pugs in general is just a miserable experience, I know in GW it can be bad but the way WOW is setup it just becomes a greed fest.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:04 PM // 14:04   #7
wolfe2dale
Frost Gate Guardian

Guild: Guildless...
Profession: E/Me

I too understand why you did this & I would to if it were not for one factor.

I REFUSE TO PAY A MONTHLY FEE FOR THE PRIVILIGE OF GAMING.

I have already bought a copy of Elder Scrolls IV to cover my pve withdrawal for a while & will continue to by new games as they come out.

If WoW cut out the monthly fee though, GW would disappear from the face of the Internet due to lack of players.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:17 PM // 14:17   #8
Snowman
Jungle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe2dale
If WoW cut out the monthly fee though, GW would disappear from the face of the Internet due to lack of players.
I doubt that, the PvP level of competition in GW is Pro, WoW you are severly restricted to only the people on the server your playing on (of where there are hundreds)

Then think about other games which go down in history as the most popular.. Counter-strike... where is the PvE content in that?.. well, there is non.. truth is, killing real players is 100% more of an adrenaline rush and excitment factor than killing a predictable AI. no matter how difficult or wonderfull it looks.

When was the last game you playing which had a world-wide sanctioned tournment?.. certainly NOT WoW..
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:22 PM // 14:22   #9
Uzul
Krytan Explorer

Guild: Pints N Quarts [PsQs]

apart from flamebait and things that have been said already...

wow is not endless: and the end-game is much much much less diverse than the "endgame" in guildwars which aims at a balanced (something you will NEVER find in "world of grind") battlefield for everyone.

::GW spoiler warning::

the 2 battling factions unite to fight shiro - something you will never see with horde and alliance who fight each other on a no way even playfield. (grind wins, hooray for grind!)

and regarding the "beauty" of wow: sorry to laugh out loud - compared to the dx8 engine of gw (partly dx9 in factions) wow is just *dull* and a few more trees won't cut it.

so it was gorgeous pve that you were missing?
how about total freedom, real rpg-elements, stunning environment and huge world to explore and interact with?
get the elder scrolls 4:oblivion and dive deep into tamriel. no monthly fee, no griefers or scammers - just absolutely gorgeous *g*
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:22 PM // 14:22   #10
tafy69
Wilds Pathfinder

Profession: N/Me

The only thing you didnt mention is playing high end GvG, since your rank9 already you should have good experience with PvP and should find a decent guild quite easily.

GvG is 100 times better than HA, give it a try you may get hooked
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:28 PM // 14:28   #11
wolfe2dale
Frost Gate Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman
I doubt that, the PvP level of competition in GW is Pro, WoW you are severly restricted to only the people on the server your playing on (of where there are hundreds)

Then think about other games which go down in history as the most popular.. Counter-strike... where is the PvE content in that?.. well, there is non.. truth is, killing real players is 100% more of an adrenaline rush and excitment factor than killing a predictable AI. no matter how difficult or wonderfull it looks.

When was the last game you playing which had a world-wide sanctioned tournment?.. certainly NOT WoW..
Apologies, I should have clarified this... I meant the pve players would disappear, not the pvp. So I have overstated this point...I re-tract it.

Last edited by wolfe2dale; Mar 28, 2006 at 02:30 PM // 14:30..
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:29 PM // 14:29   #12
beanerman_99
Wilds Pathfinder

Guild: [Sage]
Profession: E/

I love GW and will be a die hard fan until they stop making them. As for WoW, I refuse to pay $15.00 a month to play a game I just spent $59.00 buying at the store.

One thing I have NEVER enjoyed about Blizzards games like WoW and Diablo 1 & 2 is the amount of loot stealing that goes on. Players find game exploits, hack, whatever you call it, to steal loot and I just can't stand that. ArenaNet has tried to combat this horrible gaming standard by at least assigning drops to a player and setting a time limit so that that if you don't want to pick it up other players can.

GW fan FTW!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:35 PM // 14:35   #13
Ole Man Bourbon
Jungle Guide

Guild: GONG

To me, WoW had that "chore" aspect that traditional MMORPGs have had. I like the way that GW has moved away from endless grinding, leveling, camping, and ninja looting, and I will probably play MMOs less in the old-style vein from now on. Looking forward to trying out Roma Victor and Pirates of the Burning Sea.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:36 PM // 14:36   #14
fiery
Banned

Guild: InYurFace Gaming [IYF]
Profession: R/

WoW, total Grind.
Monthly pays.
Has to kill for that uber weapon but not even have max damage/mods.

Big map, yes because money is being supplied monthly to keep the buyer happy. Money sink, maybe.

Robot chicken pet, yes.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:51 PM // 14:51   #15
Kakumei
Forge Runner

Guild: learn this please

Why did you make this thread? Who cares?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:19 PM // 15:19   #16
fgarvin
Jungle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakumei
Obviously you do since you decided to reply to it…
Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:21 PM // 15:21   #17
wolfe2dale
Frost Gate Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarvin
Obviously you do since you decided to reply to it…
Lol, superb answer.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:26 PM // 15:26   #18
muelon
Ascalonian Squire

Guild: Dgreat
Profession: Mo/E
Default WOW Sucks, But Im Addicted

Hey Barry,
IM Just like u. Totaly bored with GW, and bought wow waiting for factions.

Heres why GW is a better game.
The guild system is better. Youve got guild halls, better chat window.
PVP is more balanced. PVP in WOW is horrible.
The grind in WOW is a nightmare. Go kill 25 thingamagigs and come back for your reward. That sucks.

Heres why WOW is a better game.
It is truely massive. The pve is better. However if your on a pvp server, you are stuck with the downfalls of a broken pvp system.

When you hit level 30 in wow you will see just how broken the pvp is. When a level 60 can gank you just because he can, and you can do absolutely nothing about it, that sucks.

Anyway, i must admit, that im really enjoying wow, but will not continue playing after my prepaid card is up. It is just too frustating. THE PVP SUCKS.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:34 PM // 15:34   #19
Snowman
Jungle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakumei
Its a valid point, and he makes it very well, and Im sure ANET are very interested to hear how and why their players leave.

He has weighed up the pro's and cons of each game, or rather.. each type of game.. and decided that he prefers PvE, and no doubt he will have fun with it, money isnt the problem, nor is the principle.

although I must admit the timeing is a bit odd.. i've actually canceld my Eve account in preperation for Factions, so it does sound like he has given up on Factions even before giving it a good go.

I also know alot of people who will be stopped WoW to play Guildwars again... people who may be more into the new PvP styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe2dale
Apologies, I should have clarified this... I meant the pve players would disappear, not the pvp. So I have overstated this point...I re-tract it.
Thats very manly of you!..refreshing to see some honesty.

I do wonder about the opposite of your comment though, what if Guildwars whent MMO.. with a monthly subscription.. obviously they would have to build in shed loads more content on the pve side...

but a True Guildwars MMO.... hmmmm.. now that WOULD be interesting, or would it simply lose all of its PvP players and become a flop of an mmo like DDO is (god that game sucks)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:36 PM // 15:36   #20
soySauceNR1ce
Frost Gate Guardian

Guild: (pRYD) Pride Fighterz
Profession: Mo/R

never played wow but prob never will, but how i see it....is, is it really worth it 15$ a month? play it for 6 months thats 90$ right there when u could do sumthing like buy sum jordans or buy another game who knows yea of course i would play it, if it never had the monthy fee.. do u really want to pay to play a game?? u bought the game right so why pay even more? mite as well sell the game for 150$ and make no monthly fees
Closed Thread

Share This Forum!