Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru

Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > Forest of True Sight > Technician's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jan 14, 2006, 03:41 AM // 03:41   #1
Mavrik
Forge Runner

Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default latest update bug? is Anet down?

Well I went to log on and it went through file dl where my norton then asked if I wanted to allow this program to access the internet. I said yes as I always do and when it started to then dl the file, I got a red pop up window saying Anet could not access the internet, to check my connection or wait a few minutes. Well I restarted my computer and its still giving me this damn message. I have never gotten this message since I began playing in May of 05. And obviously my internet is working.

Any ideas or has this happened to people before? Or is Anet down?
Old Jan 14, 2006, 03:59 AM // 03:59   #2
Loviatar
Underworld Spelunker

i just logged in fine so it must be you
Old Jan 14, 2006, 04:02 AM // 04:02   #3
Mavrik
Forge Runner

that sucks for me, I really wanted to play tonight.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 04:05 AM // 04:05   #4
ExplosiveBadger
Lion's Arch Merchant

Profession: E/Mo

On your toolbar, right click the Norton icon and hit Disable Norton Internet Securtiy, for say... 1 hour. This happens to my friend when he logs in.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 04:18 AM // 04:18   #5
Mavrik
Forge Runner

alright I'll try thatm should I restart my computer with it off?
Old Jan 14, 2006, 04:24 AM // 04:24   #6
ExplosiveBadger
Lion's Arch Merchant

Nah, just disable it and run Guild Wars.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 04:47 AM // 04:47   #7
Mavrik
Forge Runner

well I got it disabled... now we wait. I did restart though with the computer to turn on with norton off... still didn't work. Any ideas if its not norton as to why GW is no longer connecting to the internet yet it did for me earlier today and my computer was not off between then and when I tried to log back on after the update?

And if for some reason this doesn't work and I have to uninstall and reinstall GW... I wouldn't lose my account and characters would I?

Last edited by Mavrik; Jan 14, 2006 at 05:08 AM // 05:08..
Old Jan 14, 2006, 05:35 AM // 05:35   #8
ExplosiveBadger
Lion's Arch Merchant

Here, do this step by step. You DON'T need to turn the computer off.

-Right click Norton Internet Security on your toolbar, and click Disable. Disable for about an hour.(or as long as you want to play)
-Then RUN Guild Wars right away.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 05:43 AM // 05:43   #9
unienaule
I dunt even get "Retired"

Guild: Fifteen Over Fifty [Rare]

Your characters are stored on Anet's servers, so you can't delete them if you can't log in.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:15 AM // 06:15   #10
Mavrik
Forge Runner

look I've got Norton turned off but Anet will still not detect my internet connection. I'm still getting the red popup that says

Quote:
Unable to connect.

Guild Wars is unable to connect to AreaNet Network. Please verify that your connection is working, or by trying again in a few minutes.
Well its been a few hours now and my posting quite clearly indicates my internet is connected and working just fine. I even have norton turned off/disabled.

So if I reinstall GW... my account info should not be lost right?

This is the first time in 8 months I have ever encountered this problem. To say the least I am very confused and annoyed.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 03:51 PM // 15:51   #11
Mavrik
Forge Runner

Well its now morning and its STILL not letting me connect. I'm about to teach this thing flying lessons.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 04:20 PM // 16:20   #12
Loviatar
Underworld Spelunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik
Well its now morning and its STILL not letting me connect. I'm about to teach this thing flying lessons.
stupid question but have you checked what the WIN/XP firewall is set at?

someone mentioned a windows security update got her
Old Jan 14, 2006, 04:25 PM // 16:25   #13
TGgold
Wilds Pathfinder

Guild: Flying Gophers
Profession: Rt/P

Also, you have to use the "always use this action" part of permitting when you have the popup come up.

Or enable the port for the game.

Does the rest of your internet work?
Old Jan 14, 2006, 04:27 PM // 16:27   #14
Mavrik
Forge Runner

no I haven't because I was on yesterday afternoon, logged off before the update occured, then in the evening tried to log back on and thats when it wouldn't let me. I don't believe my computer updated during that time. Guess I'll look. I'm a noob at computers though, what should it be set at?

I always select "Allow program to access the internet" option with norton and I did last night but ever since its been not connecting. And I'm online right now on my computer... my internet is clearly connected and working just fine. I'm sure I clicked on allow. But even with norton disabled... I can't connect. I'm wondering if in the end, I'm going to need to uninstall and re-install GW...

Last edited by Mavrik; Jan 14, 2006 at 04:29 PM // 16:29..
Old Jan 14, 2006, 04:37 PM // 16:37   #15
Loviatar
Underworld Spelunker

Quote:
I'm wondering if in the end, I'm going to need to uninstall and re-install GW...
no biggie except for the time downloading what is not on the cds.

your characters (and loot) are on their computers so you wont lose anything.

think of it this way.

your pc fries, you get a brand new pc, reinstall GW log in and there you are ready to go without losing anything except the old pc

EDIT

one thing you might try is saving that huge file in the GW folder to a safe place before doing the reinstall of the client.

then just put the contents back in the original folder.

if it doesnt work you can still do it the slower way

Last edited by Loviatar; Jan 14, 2006 at 04:41 PM // 16:41..
Old Jan 14, 2006, 05:31 PM // 17:31   #16
Mavrik
Forge Runner

Well I would save my screen shots folder and then save the big one as well? thats the one with all the updates stored to it right? I believe I may try this and this should hopefully reset my norton if for some reason it is the cause of all this. I hope...
Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:01 PM // 18:01   #17
Loviatar
Underworld Spelunker

Quote:
Well I would save my screen shots folder and then save the big one as well? thats the one with all the updates stored to it right? I believe I may try this and this should hopefully reset my norton if for some reason it is the cause of all this. I hope...
YES save your screenshots to play safe but i think they would be safe anyway. i put copies on the other hard drive to play safe

the folder is GW.DAT which i think is data and is usually 1-1.x gigs
Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:29 PM // 18:29   #18
aretziel
Ascalonian Squire

Profession: E/Me

never trust Norton programs ... to my knowing they have a tendency to work like viruses themself, eating memory and you never get rid of them if you uninstall them ... my personal opinion, never had good confrontations with Norton software =(
Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:39 PM // 18:39   #19
aeroclown
Krytan Explorer

Yes I stopped using Norton products almost 5 years ago now and have never looked back, they eat up resources and such.

However, back to the issue at hand, some firewall or security suites include the ability to attach a checksum to a program entry that matches a checksum of the application you are attempting to run. In some instances these can get botched during updates and norton will think its simply a bad application trying to do something its not supposed to. In fact in some cases security suite ie, zonealrm continue to run a service in the background even if the firewall has been disabled that can affect your ability to access the web with different applications.

I would suggest you open Norton internet Security and locate the entry for guild wars. Delete the program entry and restart your computer. Then run guildwars and follow your popup wizard for The Security suite that normaly open when a new application tries to access the internet.

There is also no need to backup any files in the guildwars folder expect those you have added after the installation, ie direct song and your screenshots. Everything else is peachy. I did re-install a day or so ago. You lose nothing except files that have been added to the guildwars folder after the fact, although I didn't remove mine, the folders remian, becuase the installer does not know what those folders are for and thus does not delete them, thus the installer will fail to remove the install folder, because it contains data.

Last edited by aeroclown; Jan 14, 2006 at 06:41 PM // 18:41..
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:41 PM // 19:41   #20
Wrath Of Dragons
Burninate Stuff

this same thing happened to me. yes i panicked. a update came out, and I COULDNT GET ON! it was tragic. also msn messenger wouldnt connect either.
norton seems to exist only to block things. sure, it sems to do a good job, but its hella annoying. look at your running processes(ctrl, alt, delete) and go to processes. look for ccAPP. that frequently stops responding. try to end it, and it will say access denied or or maybe it will let you end it. whichever it does, then restart your comp and try again. and do you have norton firewall to allow guildwars? to check, go to norton, internet security, click on personnall firewall, look to the right and click on the configure button. at the top of the new window, click on the programs tab and look in the list to see if guild wars is on the list
Closed Thread

Share This Forum!