Mantra of Recovery-E
Diversion
Shame
Backfire
Power Leak
Glyph of Lesser Energy
Power Drain
Energy Tap

The strategy is to keep Mantra of Recovery up constantly so that Backfire only has a 10 second cool down. Use Diversion+Shame to protect Backfire so it is not removed. Power Leak+Power Drain+Energy Tap are so you can be extremely annoying if your Backfire plan is somehow foiled and also for the energy benefits. I think the Glyph would be good to use with as many Backfires as possible. The reason Fast Cast is high is because Mantra of Recovery really needs it. I think at 13 you are only losing 2 energy per cast rather than 4 or 5.

Ideally, if everything works perfectly, you will have backfire on constantly preventing all casting unless they choose to cast through backfire. If they do they will get hit by Shame or Diversion or Power Leak or Power Drain. Your target caster should be completely in your control.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:44 AM // 07:44   #2
Blackace

Well, people will cast through backfire. Even if they get hit by diversion they can use a throw away spell. But for the purpose of you're build thats a pretty good set of skills to bring along. However, sounds like you're doing too much energy draining and not enough control
Old Mar 16, 2005, 08:19 AM // 08:19   #3
Draken
Krytan Explorer

Guild: The Exiled

I would suggest not putting points in illusion if you’re not going to use it. Other then that this build looks decent you may think about using your power drain on a target other then the one you’re backfiring so you can eliminate 2 enemies from the playing field. Also Last hex in is the first one out when they dispel so be sure to cover backfire but I’m sure you knew that I just wanted to state it for others who view this post.
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 09:03 AM // 09:03   #4
Ellestar
Munchking

Guild: Ladder to Hell (ATM playing with Rus Corp)

IMHO every character should have some way to deal damage to a primary target when necessary. Maybe Shatter Enchantment will be useful if your team uses physical damage to kill enemies. Shield of Deflection is probably already nerfed, and other Monk enchantments that can almost nullify physical attacks have relatively long recharges. Maybe Shatter Enchantment isn't a good skill itself, but you already have a high Domination line and you have a Mantra of Recovery that will reduce a big recharge time of this spell.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:06 PM // 22:06   #5
Odd Sock
Elite Guru

Guild: iQ

I've created a similar build with the Guild Wars Team builder and found that you can lower your fast cast to way lower levels than that. With Mantra of Recovery, don't forget that your Energy Tap (the work horse of energy regaining) will recharge every 10 seconds instead of every 20. Power Drain will also recharge faster meaning that if you're good at interupts, energy will never be a problem. That extra 1 or 2 energy won't be too much for you anyways, so you can put some more points into lines like Domination and Inspiration, making you more effective offensively.
Odd Sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:51 PM // 22:51   #6
walder
Elite Guru

Good points. I must have changed the build around and not remembered to get rid of the Illusion points. I think I will go with the 12 10 8 setup now.

Odd- Do you know how Mantra of Recovery breaks down? Do you think I can get the most out of the spell at level 12 instead of 13 (I think losing 3 energy per cast would be the most I would allow). I may go 13 Domination/12 Fast Cast/9 Inspiration or switch Domination and Fast Cast. If energy really is not a problem I can even stretch it to 14 Domination/11 Fast Cast/9 Inspiration.

Anyone know if these skills are available in the BWE's because I would like to test this out but I doubt I will be able to get my hands on most of these. If anyone knows where I could find these skills that would be great.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:12 AM // 01:12   #7
Odd Sock
Elite Guru

Guild: iQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by walder
Odd- Do you know how Mantra of Recovery breaks down? Do you think I can get the most out of the spell at level 12 instead of 13 (I think losing 3 energy per cast would be the most I would allow). I may go 13 Domination/12 Fast Cast/9 Inspiration or switch Domination and Fast Cast. If energy really is not a problem I can even stretch it to 14 Domination/11 Fast Cast/9 Inspiration.
If 3 energy's your number then consider going o 11 Fast Cast (or 9 + 1 Rune + 1 Mask). Here's a build I'll be using if ever I find Mantra of Recovery.

It's of course an energy stripper but also a condition remover to support the monks.

Skill 1: Ether Feast
Skill 2: Energy Tap
Skill 3: Arcane Echo
Skill 4: Energy Burn
Skill 5: Power Drain
Skill 6: Power Leak
Skill 7: Mend Ailment
Skill 8: Mantra of Recovery

Domination Magic 10 + 1
Inspiration Magic 11 + 1
Fast Casting 9 + 2
Protection Prayers 4 (dump points)

A level 12 Ether Feast will strip away a good 13 energy. Idea is to combo it with Arcane Echo. People don't think this is a good idea since you barely regain the energy lost on actually casting Arcane. But with the Mantra on, you'll be able to cast it twice, making it a more decent strategy. Remember that with that +3 cost on all spells, you also can run dry quite fast. This should solve that, especially that you'll have Energy Taps at an approximate every 5 seconds. Mend Ailment is there to support any monk that needs help while being Dazed.

Power Drain is there in case you desperatly need that energy (it's got an aweful cooldown, and with a reason lol). Energy Burn for damage, but also energy denial. And of course Power Leak. I think this can really help your team dominate if when one ennemy character dies and you cast this on an already used up monk casting a rez.
Odd Sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:31 AM // 01:31   #8
walder
Elite Guru

That's a nice build. I saw a different energy strip build but instead of using that last part to help the monks its goes for damage:

Mes/Nec

15 Domination (+1/+2), 13 Inspiration (+1), 4 Fast Cast (+1)

Energy Burn
Energy Tap
Ether Feast
Ether Lord
Power Leak
Mind Wrack
Malaise
Energy Drain-E

This build can really cripple any caster but the only problem I have with it is that Mind Wrack really isn't that spammable. This build is another idea to act as a shutdown Mesmer but I think the first one I posted is more capable.

Share This Forum!