Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru

Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > Forest of True Sight > Questions & Answers

Notices

Old May 12, 2005, 09:58 AM // 09:58   #1
ruang
Pre-Searing Cadet

Advertisement

Disable Ads
Smile downloading guild wars and lag?

Hi

This might be a dumb question but i just can't seem 2 find the answer anywhere.

I would just like 2 know how big is the initial download files is if you buy guild wars online at plaync.com and download the game?

I live in south africa and it doesn't look as if we down hear will be having a distributer of the box game so if anyone knows of any online shops that will ship 2 south africa could u also tell me? I have tride all the shops on the guild wars.com web-site but they don't ship to south africa.

I would also like 2 know at what ping would guild wars not be playable anymore?

Thanx for anyone who can help me out.
ruang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 10:18 AM // 10:18   #2
IceD'Bear
Krytan Explorer

Guild: Awoken Myth [MYTH]
Profession: Mo/

You'll have to download about 1GB...but not all at once

You caon download the client from the home page (youcan do this right now!), it's less than 100kB.
When you run the client, it automaticaly downloads everything you need - and when you need it. So you'll be able to play when you have a some 100-200MB downloaded, and the rest wil be downloaded as you play.
IceD'Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 10:20 AM // 10:20   #3
Tieren Tetsuya
Ascalonian Squire

The actually file should be around 837 MB >_< its pretty huge... would be better to buy the game (disk) easier to install and faster...
Tieren Tetsuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 10:46 AM // 10:46   #4
Tormunda
Frost Gate Guardian

I can't really offer you the answers you wish but I can tell you about the experience from alpha-beta.

During Alpha-Beta we all had to use a download client. The client itself is very small as it downloads areas as you travel. So on the good side you will be able to start very quickly. On the bad side it means you will have a long pause each time you enter a new areas as it downloads.

How to reduce download effect on party gameplay:
If you find having others wait for you to download each area when questing in parties, you can help reduce this slightly by entering any new area on your own first, then going back to town and grouping up with others. (It does not help with new areas found in the middle of quests, but can help a little).

The first time you PvP in an arena, it may be over by the time you log in - lol. But it's only the first time for each map that you will suffer this wait. After that you will be fine and the game streams new data to you very smoothly.

The game copes with low connection speeds very well. What you have to remember is that this isn't a normal mmorg. Your not going to have 50+ people in an area all fighting 50+ monsters etc. The only busy places are towns and a bit of lag there isn't going to stop your fun. Once your outside then your either solo or in a group of 4-6, so the volume of data is very low.
Tormunda is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This Forum!