Old Apr 15, 2006, 04:49 PM // 16:49   #1
SincorpDeath
Wilds Pathfinder

Guild: The Fallen Prophets
Profession: R/Me
Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default Update/Patch Download

Hey, I was thinking that it would be extremely helpful and time efficient if every so often, ANET put patch/update files on their website for download. I don't mean for every update, but let's say for every 5 or 10 updates, a downloadable patch executable is posted on the website.

I say this because sometimes people need to either reinstall Guildwars on their computer, or install it on a different computer, and sitting there waiting for 9000 files to download kinda sux, ESPECIALLY if you have a crappy connection.

However, if we could download the patch off the website, as a secondary method of updating, I believe things would go smoother.

I'm not a computer genious, so please don't flame me if i'm completely wrong or if for a reason unknown to me, it's not possible. Just my 2 cents.
SincorpDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 05:06 AM // 05:06   #2
Mandy Memory
Desert Nomad

Guild: Xen of Sigils [XoO]
Profession: W/

Good idea...if you can get around the part where not every file needs to be updated.. (Like if you already have part of an update because of X...the patches would still update that part and could break it or something.)

So the patches would probably have to connect to Anet and would probably end up being the exact same as downloading it through the client
Mandy Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 06:11 AM // 06:11   #3
Dawnspire
Ascalonian Squire

Profession: E/N

Just burn your GW.dat file to disc, or some other removable media every month or so. I do it every month or so unless theres crap for updates, because I reformat about that often :/.
Dawnspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 02:53 PM // 14:53   #4
Dougal Kronik
Forge Runner

Guild: Glengarry Fencibles
Profession: R/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnspire
Just burn your GW.dat file to disc, or some other removable media every month or so. I do it every month or so unless theres crap for updates, because I reformat about that often :/.
Great idea. It's how I install GW on friend's machines - copying the .dat file after the client is installed, but before GW is run.
Dougal Kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:33 PM // 23:33   #5
Kool Pajamas
Forge Runner

Guild: Mage Elites [MAGE]

I also did that for one of my friends so he could play the Factions preview without as much downloading. But he didnt have direct x9 and that was a really long download for him so he didnt get to play anyway. :/
Kool Pajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:24 AM // 00:24   #6
Mandy Memory
Desert Nomad

Guild: Xen of Sigils [XoO]
Profession: W/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Pajamas
I also did that for one of my friends so he could play the Factions preview without as much downloading. But he didnt have direct x9 and that was a really long download for him so he didnt get to play anyway. :/
But you dont need dx9...only dx8. (dx9 comes on the gw cd though.)
Mandy Memory is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This Forum!